By Ashley Mazerolle, Marketing –
In the vibrant landscape of Colombian business, a troubling reality casts a shadow—fraud and corruption are pervasive issues that continue to plague a majority of organizations. The alarming situation is highlighted by Recadero Romero, the Regional Manager of Kroll Associates, a global leader in risk management and corporate investigation.
According to Romero, the statistics are grim. In 2013 alone, 63 out of 100 businesses in Colombia experienced losses attributed to fraud and corruption—a significant 10 percent rise from the previous year. Despite concerted efforts to curb corruption, the lack of improvement in control measures poses a formidable obstacle, leaving almost 90 percent of businesses in Colombia vulnerable to these insidious problems.
Romero emphasizes that combating fraud requires a shift in perspective. Rather than viewing it solely as a cultural phenomenon, he argues that the focus should be on eliminating opportunities for fraudulent activities. This challenges Colombian executives to rethink their approach to security and transparency, urging them to take proactive steps in safeguarding their businesses.
A promising solution on the horizon is EyeDetect™, an innovative lie detection technology boasting an impressive 85 percent accuracy rate. Unlike traditional methods, EyeDetect is non-intrusive, requiring individuals only to sit in front of a computer and answer questions while their eye behavior is monitored.
Proposing EyeDetect as a tool for risk management and fraud detection, Romero envisions a future where businesses can identify employees engaged in corrupt practices, thereby ensuring the integrity of the company. The complexity of fraud and corruption demands a sophisticated solution, and EyeDetect stands as a potential game-changer, capable of restoring trust and transparency within Colombian organizations.
As Colombia grapples with the challenges posed by fraud, it is clear that a multifaceted approach is needed. By adopting innovative technologies like EyeDetect and reevaluating control measures, businesses can take proactive steps to create a more secure and transparent environment, ultimately safeguarding their interests and contributing to a healthier economic landscape for Colombia.